Skip to main content

Parent Nemesis Number One

Parents face so many challenges and difficulties, from financial stress, to relationship difficulties, to things like guilt, exhaustion, sleep deprivation and more general and insidious oppressions like racism.

Parenting by Connection recognises the impact these things can have on your ability to connect well with your child; this approach holds the view that all of these hurts can be healed from with the right attention and with time. The one thing that can stop that healing though is what I think of as Parent Nemesis Number One.

Isolation.

Isolation means that we hold back from letting others into our hearts. It means we don't share how hard we find it when our child speaks to us disrespectfully, or how guilty we feel that we can't always give our kids our best selves, or how angry we get when our kids fight. We don't allow others to see our vulnerabilities and our faults. And that means we don't see theirs. So we think we are the only parent who has these issues.

Image by Nathan Dumlao from Unsplash
Parenting by Connection offers a life changing tool to counter this sense of isolation. Listening Partnerships are an agreement made by two parents to meet regularly.

The person listening makes a few important commitments - to listen with warmth and respect; to listen without judgement or advice; and not to refer back to what is said (with others or with the speaker). This provides a safe haven where you are free to offload your thoughts and feelings about areas of tension and stress. Having this uninterrupted time to mull over your own thoughts and ideas provides an avenue for your own intelligence to shine.

You speak for a pre agreed time, and then you provide the same listening to your partner for the same amount of time. Trust and respect between listeners builds over time, but this isn't a relationship that brings burdens or expectations - you won't need to send birthday cards, organise catch ups, or even engage in chit chat before your meetings. This is a relationship set up with one purpose only - listening.

Having an opportunity to talk about the things that challenge us provides us with much needed support. Having an opportunity to listen to another parent's experiences helps to break down the sense of isolation that pervades our lives as parents. We learn that we aren't the only ones to have hard days,  big feelings, and regrets. Over time, our kinship with other parents grows. We realise in a very deep way that all parents want the best for their kids, and that all parents are doing their very best in each moment. And as the feeling of isolation slowly disintegrates, we are more free to use our intelligence to problem solve and lead well in our family.

Listening Partnerships can sound daunting at first... but many thousands of people around the world use this concept every day, and every one of them reaps the rewards in terms of self-care and an improvement in family life. It is absolutely worth a try! If you'd like to give Listening Partnerships a go, there are various avenues - send me an email and I'll be glad to help! pbcwithbelynda@gmail.com

Here's how it can work: (from the book Listen by Patty Wipfler and Tosha Schore)

I was having a really hard time with my twelve-year-old. She and I could not see eye-to-eye at all. My listening partner invited me to talk about what it was like for me when I was twelve. That's the age I was when my Mom left us, and we were very poor. I had so much work I had to do! I cried many times about the shock and the very hard times we had. No wonder seeing my daughter have so much more than I had brings up a lot of feelings! In my listening time, I could say, "How dare you say that you don't have anything! I had nothing!" and cry and cry.

I think that really helped me, because now when we're together, we have a lot of fun. She and I have playful ways to connect. I'm no longer screaming, "Why aren't you cleaning your room? Why are you complaining? You have everything!"

Her life is so different than mine was at her age, and it wasn't her fault that I didn't have all the stuff that she has now. All I can do is wish the best for her, and hope that she will use what she has wisely. The most important thing is that the connection between is there. We go for walks; I get along with her so much better now than when I wasn't working on my feelings about when I was twelve years old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the best response to aggression?

Aggression from our sweet children knocks parents for six. It is a highly emotive and very difficult situation. When you have the challenge of dealing with a regularly aggressive child, you have so many big feelings to deal with from everyone. Image by Patrick Fore from Unsplash The usual response to aggression is to meet it with, at best, a 'do not mess with me, I mean business' tone, and at worst, to meet it with further aggression. It isn't a surprise that this is often the only way we know how to respond to this pattern of behaviour. After all, it is highly unlikely that we ever saw or experienced any other response. If you have been trying these responses to your child's aggression for a while now, it's time to try something new. Something that seems counter-productive but actually works. With aggression, we need to keep our eye on what is really going on. So firstly I'll explain a little brain science. Our brain can be basically viewed as having

Setting Limits with Love

Parenting is full of challenges we may never have guessed at. Today some of the limit setting I faced included my children swearing at one another, throwing a shoe on the roof, and refusing to eat the dinner I had cooked. Despite feeling like crawling under the couch and letting someone else deal with all this craziness, I know that what my kids need when they are having an off track day like this one is connection. On a good day, I approach these signals they are sending me with a wish to connect and with a wish to help them with whatever is driving their behaviour. On a harder day, and at times today was that, I lecture them and appeal to their sense of reason until I literally scream! In my many and varied conversations with parents, a common thread is how frustrating it is that we spend much of our day appealing to logic and reason in order to change behaviours. We say, 'No, please don't do that!' over and over again. We give good solid thinking around why not to beha

Want stronger, sweeter connections in your family? Join Belynda from 9th April 2023 for an online Starter Class.

Kind words from those who've joined Belynda for the six week Starter Class -  As a new foster mother of an autistic non-verbal 5yr old, I found the Hand in Hand - Parenting by Connection course you provided to be one of the most valuable tools in my toolbox.... Our quality of relationship has been enriched!  The support group alone is undeniably a solid transformation but the tool of Stay Listening without judgement has allowed my journey of motherhood to be the most wondrous and creative expression of love. - Belynda, your genuine approach, real life experiences and compassionate teaching nature lends itself perfectly to this role. - There has always been love in our home. Thanks to Belynda, now there is peace too. The Hand in Hand Parenting Starter Class is a six week opportunity for connection, support, advice and information. Hand in Hand Parenting supports parents to make empathy and connection their go-to response for challenges in their lives, while giving them confidence to